I”m a huge fan of trail mix. I guess it’s the combination of flavors and textures along with the never ending variety of ingredients that keeps me interested. It’s an easy grab and go snack and when life gets busy, easy is good. I recently found this recipe over at Tasting Table. I love the idea of blending toasted nuts with coconut and ginger and when you toss it with agave nectar and egg whites you’ve got a really tasty and nutritionally balanced snack. If you’re not a fan of curry, which is also tossed in, you can experiment with your favorite spices. That’s the fun thing about trail mix, anything goes! Happy Friday!
- ¾ cup raw pistachios
- ¼ cup finely shredded unsweetened coconut
- ¼ cup large-flake unsweetened coconut
- ¾ cup raw pecan halves
- ¾ cup macadamia nuts
- ¼ teaspoon curry powder
- ¾ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1½ tablespoons agave nectar
- 1 large egg white
- Pinch of sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Place nuts on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake until lightly toasted, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add coconut and bake until lightly toasted, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer nuts and coconut to a heat safe bowl and using rubber spatula stir in spices, agave nectar and egg white.
- Return mixture to baking sheet and bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Set baking sheet on a wire rack to cool completely. Once cooled, sprinkle mixture with sea salt.
- Serve at room temperature.
- Store in an airtight container.
If you love the taste of coconut try adding some Coconut Chips from BARE SNACKS. Bare products are all natural, gluten free and non GMO project verified. Just toss your favorite flavor into the baked trail mix to take your snack to a tastier level! BARE SNACKS are also great right out of the bag for a quick and easy snack!
I’ve got a hiking trip coming up and even though it’s just a day trip I will most likely be tucking some trail mix into my bag that day. So whether you’re going on a hike, sitting at the kids soccer games, or just have a busy work schedule, trail mix is always a good idea!
Have a fantastic weekend,